Monday, August 25, 2008

Sleep Study ...

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I've posted, time has gone so fast. On July 31st, I had a sleep study to determine if I had obstructive sleep apnea or any sleeping issues. I tend to be a very restless sleeper. I just had my follow-up appointment today, and I definately do not have any indication of issues related to apnea, my oxygen levels looked good and I had very few breathing related issues throughout the night. I did wake up significally more than is considered normal, and had less REM sleep than would be considered normal as well. He was going to fax the info over to my OS and advise that after surgery, instead of putting me back on the amitriptyline, that he puts me on another medication. This should prevent me from being so restless and help me get a better night sleep. I am ok with this as long as I have to be on the meds post-op, but after that year, I really prefer to be off all meds completely. That is, after all, one of the reasons I am going through all of this ... I want to reduce the amount of drugs I take long term and find more natural ways to deal with these things. Here are some photos of my sleep study ... I had 29 electrodes, plus a clip on my finger, tubes that look like oxygen tubes to measure my oxygen levels, and a microphone taped to my neck. It's amazing I slept at all!





1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow, what a getup! Sounds like you got some good data, though. I hope this helps in solving those sleep issues!

:0)
M