Sunday, July 27, 2008

I hope this isn't an indication ...

of the bruising I will have post-op. Yikes! On Friday, I was mowing the lawn on our riding lawn mower, and we live on a big hill. On part of the hill, the tractor wanted to jerk to the right for some reason, and threw me off in the process. Luckily, it has a safety feature and shuts off automatically as soon as there is no weight on the seat. I'm not sure if I brushed against the side of the tractor, or if it was from the impact of hitting the ground, but I have a huge bruise on the back of my thigh. My husband had me put a steak on it Friday night and I actually think that helped quite a bit to reduce the swelling.

Anyway, I bruise pretty easily, at least this one I can hide behind a pair of jeans. If this is an indication of how my face will bruise after surgery, I will look like a human punching bag! Needless-to-say, I am now forbidden from mowing the lawn, at least that part of it. I don't think I'd want to take the chance post-op anyway of getting thrown off again.

On another note, I went shopping yesterday to start picking up some "supplies". So, I got one of those trusty magic bullets, since I've heard such rave reviews about them. Between that and the blender and juicer we already have, I should be set for mixing up many post-op concoctions.

I picked up a 6 pack of soft-bite spoons for infants, 3 sippy cups, and a baster. I also ordered and received the zip-n-squeeze bags, so I am hoping that between all of these feeding methods, I should have my bases covered given I will be banded for 6-8 weeks. Plus, I am guessing I will get some syringes in the hospital.

I picked up 2 notebooks, one for writing (communicating) and another for my meds journal. I also picked up 2 bottles of hydrogen peroxide (this is my OS's preferred method of rinsing my mouth - 3 parts water to 1 part peroxide), Afrin, non-drowsy children's Sudafed (liquid), Sudacare shower soothers (vaporizing shower tablets), and Ferro-Sequels High Potency Iron Supplement (recommended by my OS to take one month pre-op). And I bought one of those baby suctions, thanks to Rachel's post ... to keep some of that post-op drool under control.

Last, but not least, I picked up some All-Bran Fiber Drink Mix (pink lemonade flavor), whch packs 10 g dietary fiber into a 16 oz drink:


I'll try it this week to see how it takes ... I was thinking I might be able to incorporate it into some smoothies post-op to keep my fiber up.

I still have quite a few other things on the list, but it's a start. I don't want to be stressed the week before and have to pick everything up at the last minute. Thanks everone for all of your tips on what is needed ... it really helps to be prepared.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey Stephanie! Nice to meet you in the blogosphere. I'm so impressed by all the supplies you have for your recovery. You really should be all set! :0)

I had upper and lower surgery on June 25. I stayed in the hospital for two nights - I'm not sure how long you'll be in the hospital for your procedure, but in case you're there for as long as I was, you may want to bring a pair of PJs with you. I got that tip from someone and thought I'd share it with you. It sure was nice to wear PJ bottoms underneath my gown!

I'll try to think if there's anything you're missing for your recovery, but I honestly think you're ahead of most folks!!

:0)
M

Rachel said...

You sure are ready for the big day. You'll have to let us know about the fiber drink. I was tempted to get some the other day. Its smart to use that since you don't get much fiber while on a liquid diet. Don't worry about the bruising, I'm from the sticks and I've had my share of nasty bruises from the riding lawn mower. Just eat clean and healthy prior to surgery, it really helps with bruising. The baby suction was the best thing I could have ever bought since the intubation tube really tore up my throat and I couldn't swallow much. If you do get a sore throat, I would recommend watering down your meds. Its helps a lot. Michelle is right about the PJs. By day two, I was ready to get out of that nasty gown. I would also suggest taking some of your favorite liquid soap so you can take a washcloth bath before you put on your PJs. It feels so good to be somewhat clean.

Nate said...

much like Dr. Verges (e.g., Michelle) said you seem to be quite on top of things. Have you been reading the recipes they have been ever so diligently providing?

Stephanie said...

Michelle - thanks for the tip on the PJ's. I have added that to my "hospital list". Believe it or not, I still have quite a few things left to buy! I've been on the Yahoo Orthognathic Surgery and Archwire sites for a year now, so I've picked up lots of tips and tricks through the process.

Rachel - I tried the fiber drink ... it's awesome! I just don't know after surgery if I'll like it (its hard to know if my tastebuds will change or not) ... I have to think of some concoction to mix it with to get in more protein and calorie. I can't believe I have to think about getting enough calories in, when all my life I've thought about how to NOT get so many calories in!!

Nate - I did stop by their webpage with all those yummy recipes ... they look delicious (for someone who is going to be on a liquid diet, anyways). I can't wait to see more posts. I still have all of my food supplies to get ... that will probably be during the 2 weeks before surgery.

Anonymous said...

PJs, of course! I stayed 5 nights in the hospital and I havd a change of 'clothes' (shorts + tshirts) for every night and every day, that made me feel more human when I felt like a potato head..


mylene

Daniel said...

Hey Stephanie, random noter here. I am considering orthognathic surgery for almost the same reasons you did and was wondering who your surgeon is? I like that he uses Dr. Arnett's methods and has been to his seminars. I'm guessing he is much less expensive than Arnett as well??

Anyway, good luck. I think I'm gonna start a blog once I start up with this whole process myself :o)

-Dan