Monday, October 20, 2008

6 weeks post-op

I am back from Paris, and I can say it went pretty well for my first trip since surgery. Although I was feeling like my energy levels were pretty good and mostly back to normal (if I even know what "normal" is now), I wasn't sure if the time change and change of pace was going to kick my butt. But, adjusted very well going over, as well as coming back. I even managed to squeeze in some sight seeing since I had Saturday free. Since I've already seen the main sights of Paris, and I was staying near Versailles, I went to the Palace of Versaille which I must say was amazing. I highly recommend it if anyone has the time to explore beyond the confines of Paris while in France. The city is also very quaint and unique.

O.K., back to my mouth. On the way out at airport security, they accepted my letter very easily from my OS regarding my liquid nutritional suppliments. I had a tight schedule when arriving to Paris, so I had carried all 18 nutritional suppliments (I hoped I would find other alternatives, but you never know so I was prepared), plus my liquid tylenol and my Peridex, in my carry-on with me without checking any luggage. I knew I would have more of an issue on the way home (they can be very strict in Paris!), so I only brought the liquid tylenol, Peridex, and one Ensure on the plain with me, and the rest I checked. They held me up for about 30 minutes, because they needed about 5 levels of approvals before they would let me through! Part of the problem was that they were looking specifically for the name of the products on the letter from my OS, and he of course was very general in stating nutritional supplements. Plus, I don't think the language barrier helped. But I made it through and am back now.

Today, I had my first appointment with my OD where we were going to start moving and changing things. I was scheduled for 1 hour, but it ended up lasting about 2 hours 45 minutes! Lots of new information though.

First, I asked if the fact that Dr. P could not get all of the movements necessary in surgery because of my tight tissue would alter my outcome. Dr. L doesn't think so, he said it should be no problem to get the expansion I need in the back orthodontically. I also asked about my overjet, as it seems larger to me than it should. Dr. L agreed and said that is why he suggested the band configuration I had when I first started changing my bands. We have some work to go, my lower teeth will pretty much stay where they are, but we can push my upper teeth back some, which will reduce my overjet.

They took out my wires today and repositioned most of my brackets on my upper teeth. For about 20 minutes, I had naked teeth! It gave me a preview of what I had to look forward to on de-banding date, and I can tell you, I liked what I saw ... and that is with still having a bit of work to go! On the lowers, they put my same Sure-Smile wire back in -- minus the surgical hooks (yeah!). As for my upper teeth, I believe I won't get the Sure-Smile wires back in anymore, and Dr. L will finish things off with traditional wires.

The techs had a really hard time with my upper wire. My ROM is still pretty limited, I can get my thumb in there and maybe a tiny bit more, so they had a hard time turning in the wire in the back on both sides. On my left side, they didn't turn it in because of my exposed plate, we didn't want to mess around too much there. So, she cut the wire short so it hopefully wouldn't bother me. On the right side, they put a coil/spring in between my last two molars to open up some space, because in several months (probably 3-4 months) I will get a TAD (temporary anchorage device) put back there, and we will pull my teeth back. So, she couldn't clip that wire too short because it needs some excess for when that space opens up, and since I am still pretty swollen in there the wire was really jabbing. When she tried to turn the wire in, the tool was too big and I couldn't open enough, so it would rub against my stiches and caused some bleeding. I told her I would deal with that pain at the moment because I would rather have that than 7 weeks of a poking wire. Finally, she got it, but I felt like I really stressed the techs out today because they didn't want to hurt me. It was uncomfortable, but I am just glad she was able to get the wire turned in.

So, on my right side I am 95% Class I (Yeah!) ... so just some tweeking to do there. On my left side, I am still Class II, but with the coil and the TAD we should be able to correct that. Overjet, Dr. L will push my upper teeth back to take care of that. My mid-line is still about 2 mm to the left, so we have that to correct that as well. I got a new elastic configuration today (no more box config on the front!). The elastics are much lighter, and I have just 2 bands. I will wear them 24/7, take them out to eat, and at night I have to double up on the elastics on my right side. I believe that will help work on the mid-line.

I think that covers most of my appointment ... at the end Dr. L told me he found out about my blog and has taken a look at it. I asked him if it was from the my Dentist's office (I had sent the gals a link to my blog to follow my progress), and he said no, that he found out from someone (I assume a colleague or professional acquaintance) in Texas. Apparantly, there are not a lot of Sure-Smile patients yet that have been through this surgery. So, between my reference to that in my blog, and my references to Dr. L and Dr. P, and the fact that I am in Green Bay ... they put it all together. So, Dr. L ... if your reading ... thanks to you and Dr. P for all of your hard work to give me a functional bite and beautiful smile!

In other news ... it looks like my plate continues to heal over, although it doesn't seem like anyone is optimistic that it will heal over completely. The good news is that there is no visible bone which means that the chance of infection is much less. I have an appointment with Dr. P (OS) tomorrow so I will update more on that if necessary.

Lastly, kind of a random thought ... but it has been so strange for me to see the way I open my mouth now. I felt in the past like my jaw opened like a hinge, whereas now, with the lower jaw rotation, the top opens paralell to the bottom ... like an eel. It is just so different as your perception of normal changes ... apparantly that is how most people open their mouth!

I know ... I need to post some new photos. I will have my husband take new ones of me in the next couple days. I feel pretty swollen now from this morning's appoinment ... but tomorrow should be better. Today is my last day of working from home ... I will go into the office daily from now on. It should be much better now that I have a much more manageable band configuration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad all
Went well
In paris.
Your ortho
Update sounds intense..
Thank you for sharing the details.hope you are spared from wearing headgear.