Monday, December 10, 2007

Oral and Maxillofacial Consult …

My orthodontist only works with one Oral Surgeon. Apparently the two of them have been to many seminars by Dr. William Arnett in Santa Barbara who is a leader in the field of orthognathic surgery, so they are very much on the same page in terms of treatment and procedure. This gives me confidence that they are working together as a team, which ultimately can only be to my benefit. Coincidently, Dr. P, the surgeon he referred me to, is a network provider in my insurance plan. That will at least help to reduce out-of-pocket expenses if I can get my surgery approved.

I was able to get in for a consult about a week after being referred, so I was excited to get the process moving.

Doctor P went over my tomo with me and showed me my airway … he said it is one of the smallest he has seen. He explained the surgery to me in layman’s terms, the upper surgery would help to reduce my “gummy” smile, and the lower surgery along with genioplasty (movement, in my case extension, of the chin) would correct my recessed chin. Ultimately, the goal is to correct my Class II Malocclusion, while also taking into consideration aesthetics and balance of my facial features.

I would need to be on three different meds for a year prior to the surgery as well as a year after. This is because I have an increased chance for relapse as I have TMJ dysfunction. The meds help to stabilize the jaw before and after surgery.

He explained that he was the only oral surgeon in the area that did not wire the jaws together after surgery, I would be banded instead but still would need to be on a liquid diet for about 6 weeks after surgery.

No comments: