Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pics!

So here we go ... the first picture is me in the "holding area", waiting ot go in for surgery ...

And this next one was taken about 2 hours afer surgery, once I got up to my room:

I still have the nose tube in, supposedly I am supposed to have it in until tomorrow. However, there is no new blood going into my stomach, and it appears that it all has been sucked out. Dr. P has called the hospital a few times to check in with the nurse who is taking care of me, and she is trying to convince him to let me take the nose tube out. I can't drink anything until it gets out of there, and my mouth is so dry! That is really my only discomfort ... I'm thirsty. Other than that, things are going very well. I got up to take a walk around 5, with the nurses help of course. Then I used the bathroom as long as I was up ... everything back to normal. I did get light headed by the end, though, so I just have to take it easy. I am so pleased with my progress so far (although I look like Mr. Potato Head, but that of course was expected).

Numbness is great. I have all my feeling in my chin, just a little tingly on the left side. I can feel my whole lower lip except it is tingly on the lower left side. Upper lip is mostly numb, but I have feeling in the middle. I am really doing so much better than expected. I would only classify my pain as a 2, if even that. I think I've used my morphine button about 3 times ... not too bad.

I have my handy-dandy jaw bra on now from Zip-n-Squeese, we just have to change out the ice quite frequently as it melts pretty fast.

I repeated to myself hundreds of times this morning "I am strong, I am healthy, I recover fast", and between that and the skill of my surgeon, I really feel like I have come through this with flying colors.

My mom cleared out my nose (the nostril with out the tube) with a q-tip and hydrogen peroxide, that felt really nice to get some of that gunk out of there. I am breathing through my nose very nicely.

So, that's where I'm at. I really don't think I could be any better than I am ... very pleaseed so far.

6 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Wow...and again I say, WOW!!Looking great, Stephanie, and way to go on the positive self-talk, walks and overall glorious first day! All your homework and effort is surely paying off!

Can hardly wait to see how everything progresses for you. Take care 'till next time :)

Daniel said...

I am absolutely amazed at how well you are doing!! I've heard this surgery is a complete nightmare and you are going through it so smoothly :o) You're definitely making me less afraid. Keep up the quick recovery and stay strong!!! :o)

-Dan

Kam said...

Congrats! You're looking great! I think it's incredible how well you're doing!

stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stephanie said...

I love the play-by-plays!! You look amazing!! Wowie!

Anonymous said...

You make this look easy! and I know it's not. Hope you continue to feel great, Best wishes on your speedy recovery.